Welcome to the Texas Social Studies Supervisors Association (TSSSA) website.
TSSSA is an organization provides a place for Social Studies supervisors from across the state to share ideas and learn from each other about the most current research in social studies education and the most up to date information on social studies events at the state level. We are excited about our new website look and hope this better serves our membership.
Questions about ETS Replacing Pearson on Texas Social Studies Tests
As some may be aware, the Texas Education Agency recently announced that ETS will replace Pearson on Sept. 1 as the creator of the SS state tests. Since you may have very legitimate concerns about the change, SBOE representative (and fellow TSSSA member) Pat Hardy has agreed to collect questions to ask TEA or ETS If you have questions you would like to have Pat ask, navigate sometime in the next week to https://todaysmeet.com/
UTeach Position Open
The UTeach-Liberal Arts program is recruiting for the position of Director of UTeach-Liberal Arts and Clinical Associate Professor to begin in August 2015.
This position will be responsible for advancing the strategic vision of the program; managing budgets; overseeing grants, development, and fundraising goals; and supervising UTeach-Liberal Arts faculty. UTeach-Liberal Arts Director will oversee day-to-day operations of the program, curriculum management and development, field placements, school district coordination, and outreach initiatives. In addition, the successful incumbent will be expected to teach one or two courses each semester as the faculty coordinator for liberal arts social studies education majors and will supervise undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students in courses and experiences related to field-based teacher development.
Successful candidate must hold a current Texas teacher certification in social studies and have a Master’s degree or PhD in a related field. In addition, candidates are expected to have a minimum of 12 years experience teaching at the secondary level (with a preference given to those with public school experience) and a minimum of five years experience in a leadership position. We are seeking individuals with experience with innovative curriculum design and research methods in K-12 education, excellent interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to foster and maintain a positive, team-oriented environment.
Final rank and rate contingent upon experience and qualifications.
Please send a letter of interest, current resume or CV, and the names and contact information of three references to: Soo Aldrich (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin on June 8th and will continue until position is filled. Inquiries about the position should be directed to: Soo Aldrich (email@example.com).
Mission Statement: The Texas Social Studies Supervisors’ Association strives to advocate a rigorous and relevant Social Studies program taught with fidelity and continuity to prepare Texas students to be informed critical thinkers and responsible American citizens in a global society.
- social studies prepares students to become responsible global citizens who appreciate what it means to be an American.
- social studies will prepare students to become informed global citizens to help the United States to maintain its position as a world leader.
- social studies prepares students to think critically with the ability to adapt to changes in society over time.
- a strong understanding of Social Studies skills and content is critical to develop 21st century leaders.
- a strong understanding of Social Studies promotes socially, politically, fiscally, and environmentally responsible citizens.
- social studies is the framework that helps students to make sense of the world and provides relevance to other contents across time, places, and through observable patterns.
- a quality K – 12 social studies program must be taught with fidelity and continuity.
- a rigorous social studies program prepares students for college and career readiness.
- all students in the state of Texas must have access to updated, quality instructional materials aligned to adopted state standards.
Texas Legislature Bills to Watch
Bookmark this page for information on bills of interest to social studies teachers and supervisors. Updates will be posted as they are available.
Interested in serving the Social Studies Community?
Then run for an office on the TSSSA board. Contact Pete Yackus for more information.